Web Print Version: For official purposes please print the PDF version.
Standard 3 - Formalisation of Enrolment
Tuition Fees Payment Terms for International Students Guidelines
Policy Code: FN886
International Student Program Fees Terms
Payment of International Student Program Fees
- Fees are calculated on the basis of Program load. Program load for students is determined by the course weightings (EFTSL) as determined by the University.
- Normally a full-time workload has an EFTSL weighting of 0.5 for a half-year and an EFTSL weighting of 1.0 for a year.
- International students must undertake a workload in each semester of study to ensure they complete their studies within the expected duration specified in their CoE in compliance with the rules and regulations relating to the issuing of student visas for entry into Australia.
- In exceptional circumstances, international students may be permitted to undertake a workload greater than the normal full-time workload for a semester but no greater than 1.1 in total for an academic year as set by the Academic Board for all students, and only with the permission of the relevant Program Coordinator.
- International students are not permitted to undertake less than a normal workload in a semester except where the workload is restricted by the Academic Progress Committee, where credit has been granted a student will still be able to complete their studies within the expected duration of their CoE or where students in their final semester are required to take a minimum load to complete their program requirements and only with the permission of the relevant Program Coordinator.
- Enrolments and amendments to enrolments, including amendments to workloads, of all international students, must be approved in advance in writing by the relevant Program Coordinator. The Centre for University Partnerships or nominated officer at the Partner Provider must be advised of any amendments made to student enrolments.
- The annual international student program fees and program durations as advertised by the University are for standard full-time programs (Refer to Items 1 and 2 in Workloads for definitions), where students are progressing without failures.
- International students who have been permitted to undertake a workload of more than the normal full-time workload (Refer to Items 4 and 6 in Workloads ) are required to pay an additional tuition fee above the normal full-time international student program fees, calculated pro-rata according to the additional workload.
- International students who have been permitted to undertake a workload less than the normal full-time workload (Refer to Items 5 and 6 in Workloads ) may be eligible (subject to Item 4 below) for a partial credit or refund of the international student program fees paid, calculated as the pro-rata difference between the actual workload undertaken and the normal full-time workload for the program.
- Where the University determines in accordance with Item 3 above that a continuing international student is eligible for a partial credit of international student fees paid, the amount of credit calculated in accordance with Item 3 will be transferred as payment or part payment of the student’s fees payable for the next semester or refunded if a valid request has been submitted by the student.
- Commencing and continuing international students are required to pay the international student program fees listed for their year of program commencement throughout the normal duration of their study in the program concerned.
Payment of International Student Program Fees
- International Student Program fees are payable in Australian dollars.
- International students are required to pay in full the appropriate full-time international student program fees for a semester. The maximum amount that can be paid before a student commences a Program is 50% of the total fees for the complete Program.
- Commencing international students are required to pay the fees at the time of accepting a place in a program. Continuing international students are required to pay the fees by the specified date, which will be no earlier than two weeks before the beginning of the semester.
- In any semester, a student whose enrolment at a date no later than 4 weeks (or 20 working days) after the first day of commencement of the semester is less than the normal workload of 1.0 in accordance with Items 5 and 6 in Workloads may be eligible for a partial credit or refund of the international student program fees paid to the University for that semester, in accordance with Items 3 and 4 in Fees.
- Failure to comply with the required payment date will result in the termination of the offer of a place or of enrolment at the University.
- Students who have been advised that their enrolment will be terminated due to non payment of fees will be able to access the University’s complaints and appeals procedures.
- These guidelines, and the availability of complaints and appeals processes, do not remove the right of the student to take action under Australia's consumer protection laws.