- Implementation and Communication
- Records Management
- Supporting Documents
This procedure describes the process for the validation of assessment tools for Vocational Education and Training (VET) qualifications delivered by the University, or on its behalf. This procedure will support compliance to the Standards for NVR Registered Training Organisations 2011(SNR) or Australian Quality Training Framework (AQTF), the Victorian Registration Qualification Authority (VRQA) Guidelines, and the University's Quality Management System. It provides the framework for the University to quality assure assessment methods, processes, tools, and judgements.
This procedure is to be applied to all VET qualifications offered by the University, including RPL assessments, irrespective of delivery mode or location. This includes programs delivered by partner providers on behalf of the University.
These definitions apply specifically to VET assessments. They outline the requirements of the Standards for NVR Registered Training Organisations 2011(SNR) and/or the Australian Qualification Framework 2010 (AQTF).
Assessment means the process of collecting evidence and making judgements on whether competency has been achieved, to confirm that an individual can perform to the standard expected in the workplace, as expressed by the relevant endorsed industry/enterprise competency standards of a Training Package or by the learning outcomes of a VET accredited course.
Source: Standards for NVR Training Organisations 2011
Assessment tools include the following components—context and conditions of assessment, tasks to be administered to the student, an outline of the evidence to be gathered from the candidate and evidence criteria used to judge the quality of performance (i.e. the assessment decision-making rules).
This term also takes in the administration, recording and reporting requirements, and may address a cluster of competencies as applicable for holistic assessment.
Source: ASQA General Direction 2013
All people except those employed by the University to deliver and assess any units of competency from any of the qualifications in the Training Package or curriculum being moderated/ validated are considered to be external parties.
Source: VRQA Guidelines 2010
|Unit outline:||The unit outline is a document provided to students to identify elements, required skills and knowledge, critical aspects of evidence, delivery schedule and assessment requirements for a unit|
Validation involves checking that the assessment tool produced is valid, reliable, sufficient, current and authentic evidence to enable reasonable judgements to be made as to whether the requirements of the relevant aspects of the Training Package had been met. It includes reviewing and making recommendations for future improvements to the assessment tool, process and/or outcomes.
Source: Australian Quality Training Framework (AQTF) 2010
At the University validation of assessment is part of the quality review process with the outcomes informing the development and review of assessment tools.
Quality assurance of assessment takes place before and during assessment focussing on:
- the interpretation of the unit(s) of competency
- the development of a common understanding of the standard to be achieved, what the competent person would look like
- the assessment strategy, the overall design of the assessment process, including types of assessments to be used, location, number of assessments
- assessment tools and the evidence guides
- the benchmarks against which learner performance is to be assessed
- the actual performance being undertaken by a learner
- the assessment process and the role of the assessor
Validation of assessment includes:
- the effectiveness of the assessment tool and the assessment process
- the standard of performance achieved
- the validity of the evidence collected
- reporting and record keeping
- the accuracy and consistency of the assessment judgements/ decisions that has been made
|1.||Establish Assessment Validation Schedule||Program Coordinator||
Schedule should identify all units delivered in the Department, delivery location and qualification.
|2.||Identify units to be validated for the year||Program Coordinator|
|3.||Identify parties to be involved in assessment validated and||Program Coordinator||Internal and external parties must be involved in activities. This may include teaching staff, students, industry representatives, vocational and assessment specialists, professional association representatives, teacher networks, or other appropriate stakeholders.|
|4.||Inform staff of assessment validation requirements||Program Coordinator|
|5.||Review validation schedule||Program Coordinator||Schedule should be updated each year taking into account the outcomes of assessment validation and activities.|
|1.||Complete unit outline||Assessor||Unit Outline included in the VET Assessment Tool Template|
|2.||Develop/review assessment tool||Assessor||Refer to VET Assessment Tool Template or VET RPL Assessment Tool Template|
|3.||Participate in quality assurance and validation activities as directed by Program Coordinator||Assessor||Record validation activity and recommendations in VET Validation Schedule and Record Template|
|4.||Update assessment tool||Assessor|
- Academic Board is responsible for the scheduled review of this procedure
- Chair, Learning and Teaching Committee (L&T) is responsible for maintaining the content of the procedure as delegated by Academic Board.
- Executive Officer, Academic Secretariat is responsible for the administration support for the maintenance of this procedure as directed by the Chair (L&T)
Specific responsibilities for action are included in the ‘Actions’ section of this document
The VET Validation of Assessment Procedure will be implemented throughout the University via:
- Announcement the University’s News webpage
- Inclusion in the University’s Policy Library
- Annual Professional development including assessment activities and workshops
|Title||Location||Responsible Officer||Minimum Retention Period|
|Validation of Assessment Schedule||School/Centre/College||School/Centre/College||Destroy 3 years from date of last action.|
Master Assessment tool includes:
Master RPL assessment tool includes:
VET Teacher Qualifications and Competence Policy
Contact the Centre for Learning Innovation and Professional Practice (CLIPP) if you require a copy of the most current version of the below Assessment Tool Templates: Email: email@example.com | Phone: (03)5327 6151
VET Assessment Tool Template (to be attached)
VET RPL Assessment Tool Template (to be attached)
- VET Validation of Assessment Schedule and Record Template (DOCX 107.2kb)