- University Awards Policy
- Honorary Awards Procedure
- Higher Education Awards (by Coursework) Procedure
- University Medal Procedure
- Printable PDF Version
Document Currently Under Review
Current Status: For Uni-wide Comment 17 September 2021
- Legislative Context
- Supporting Documents
- Records Management
This procedure describes the process by which Academic Board will receive nominations and make recommendations to the University Council for the awarding of the University Medal. The University Medal is normally conferred twice annually by the University Council in recognition of outstanding academic achievement.
Academic Board is responsible for managing the nomination and selection process through the University Medal Committee. This Committee is comprised of members of Academic Board Executive Committee. Its role is to recommend to the University Council Executive Committee, the selected recipient/s for the University Medal.
This procedure applies to bestowing an award on a graduating student whose academic achievement has been outstanding for the duration of their undergraduate studies.
To be eligible for the University Medal:
- the student must be eligible to graduate having completed the requirements of an undergraduate (Bachelor's level) single award, double degree, double award and joint degree, or a bachelor's honours degree at Federation University Australia.
- The student must not have previously been awarded the University Medal.
Council may resolve not to award the University Medal in a particular graduation period, or to award more than one University Medal in any one graduation period.
- Federation University Australia Act 2010
- Statute 5.1 - Academic Awards and Courses
- Statute 5.3 - Assessment
- Statute 5.6 - Admission to Academic Awards
A complete list of definitions relevant to this procedure is contained within the University Awards Policy.
|A||Generate a list of eligible, potential graduates.||Academic Secretariat||
|A||Issuing notice||Academic Secretariat||
Note: The closing date for the receipt of nominations for the award of the University Medal is:
Six weeks prior to the start of March graduation.
Six weeks prior to the start of October graduation.
|B||Nominating a candidate||Dean of School||
|A||Considering and selecting nominations||Academic Secretariat||
|University Medal Committee||
|A||Notifying the Schools||
Council Executive Officer
|B||Notifying the nominees||Deans of Schools||
|C||Notifying other staff||Academic Secretariat||
|B.||Meeting design specifications||Academic Secretariat||
|C.||Preparing for the presentation||Graduations Coordinator||
|D.||Presenting the University Medal||Chancellor||
- University Medal Nomination Form (DOCX 194.0kb)
- Academic Board (as the Approval Authority) is responsible for monitoring the implementation, outcomes and scheduled review of this procedure
- Chair, Academic Board (as the Policy Sponsor) is responsible for maintaining the content of this procedure as delegated by the (Academic Board)
- Academic Secretariat (as the Policy Editor) is responsible for the administration support for the maintenance of this procedure as directed by the (title above)
The University Medal Procedure will be communicated throughout the University community in the form of:
- an Announcement Notice via FedNews website and on the 'Recently Approved Documents' page on the 'Policies, Procedures and Forms @ the University' website to alert the University-wide community of the approved Procedure
- notification by email to Deans of Schools, Director of Governance, Graduation Coordinator and Public Relations.
The University Medal Procedure will be implemented throughout the University via:
1. notification by email to Deans of Schools at the stipulated time each year.
|Document Title||Location||Responsible Officer||Minimum Retention Period|
|Policy Document Approval Form||The University's approved records management system||Policy Systems Administrator or delegate||
Originals should be retained by the Policy Sponsor
Copies can be disposed of once the administrative use has
Electronic record will be retained in the University's records management system
|University Medal Procedure||The University's approved policy management system||Policy Systems Administrator or delegate||Permanent|
|Nomination forms||The University's approved records management system||Academic Secretariat||Nomination forms for successful nominees will be kept a minimum of seven years, and unsuccessful for 12-months. Electronic records will be retained in the University's records management system under relevant Academic Board Executive Committee meetings.|