Travel Procedure

Policy code: FN937
Policy owner: Manager, Financial Services
Approval authority: Director, Finance
Approval date: 21 January 2004
Next review date: 03 March 2023


This procedure gives effect to the Federation University Australia Travel Policy (“the policy”) and applies to any person:

  • undertaking travel for or on behalf of the University, regardless of the source of funding, or
  • whose travel is funded by the University (this may, in appropriate circumstances, include travel for visiting scholars, recruitment interviews and relocation of new appointees where the travel is funded by the University).


This procedure applies to University representatives that are involved in University sponsored travel and those responsible for authorising and processing travel arrangements paid for by the University.

Legislative Context

  • Fringe Benefits Tax Assessment Act 1986 (Cth) (FBT Act).
  • Occupational Health and Safety Act 2004 (Vic).
  • Financial Management Act 1994.


A complete list of definitions relevant to this procedure is contained within the Travel Policy.

A list of definitions relevant to this procedure is included below:

Term Definition
Best available fare The lowest cost fare, taking into account considerations such as safety, comfort, convenience and practicality of schedules, and the extent to which the travel is certain and unlikely to need to be cancelled, changed and/or refunded.
Car Rental Company Vehicle rental suppliers who the University has negotiated corporate rates with, which currently includes Avis and Hertz.
Cash Advance Approved sum of money advanced to the traveller’s bank account, which must be fully reconciled within 30 days upon return from travel. A Cash Advance will exclude a staff member from applying for a Travel Allowance.
Delegation Band Value Limit Table Schedule of delegations as per the Delegations - Contract, Financial, Staffing and Tender Policy
Dual Purpose Travel Travel undertaken that includes both business and private days, where the number of private days exceed the University’s threshold.
Financial Delegate Officers with the financial delegation to approve expenditure of University funds up to their value limit as reflected in the Delegation Band Value Limit Table.
Fringe Benefits Tax (FBT) A tax paid by employers on some cash and non-cash benefits provided to employees as a result of their employment.
Incidental Private Travel Incidental Private Travel is the number of private days during a business trip, not including non-business weekend days.  To be treated as incidental the total number of days must not exceed the incidental private travel threshold (as compared to the number of business days).
Pre-existing health condition

(a) any physical defect, condition, illness or disease for which treatment, medication or advice (including advice for treatment) has been received or prescribed by a medical doctor or dentist in the twelve (12) months immediately prior to scheduled departure; or

(b) a condition, the manifestation of symptoms of which a reasonable person in the circumstances would be expected to be aware at the time of booking travel.

Risk assessment The process of evaluating likelihood and severity of harm arising from a hazard. 
TEMS Travel & Expense Management System, which is currently SAP Concur.
TMC Travel Management Company providing the University's travel management services – currently FCM Travel (previously known as Campus Travel).
Travel Allowance Approved sum of money paid directly to traveller prior to travel. Travel Allowances are issued when travelling to international destinations operating largely under a ‘cash economy’.  Travel Allowances are not reconcilable and amounts paid will appear on the traveller’s Income Statement.  
Travel Diary A register of dates, places and duration of your activities and travel captured in the Travel Calculator & Diary. The purpose of a travel diary is to help determine work-related versus private elements of your trip and needs to be produced by the traveller when travelling from home for 6 or more consecutive nights. The determination of the number of nights away commences from when the employee first departs their home and concludes when the employee returns to their home.
University business Includes travel sanctioned by the University, which supports the University’s teaching, learning, research and engagement activities.
University funds All funds controlled by the University, including grant money, consultancy earnings, research funding, earnings from entrepreneurial ventures, donations and in-kind contributions.
Virtual card A digital version which replaces the need for a physical credit card. This is currently being supplied to the University by AirPlus International.


Section 1. Applying to Travel

1. Purpose of Travel

  1. Persons intending to travel may engage in business-related travel for any of the following reasons:
  • attending a conference, symposium, colloquium or workshop
  • undertaking OSP which has been fully endorsed by the University
  • conducting commercial business on behalf of us, including consulting
  • specific approved tours, including student study tours
  • undertaking research and fieldwork
  • teaching and training at other campuses, and
  • visiting other universities or centres.

2. Requesting Travel

  1. Any staff member wishing to undertake business-related travel on behalf of the University must apply to do so using the official pro forma, either Domestic Travel / Online Conference Application or International Travel Application, except where the following exists:
    • A member of the VCST is travelling domestically.
  2. Completion and approval of this pro forma must be undertaken prior to using the Travel Management System (TEMS) to request flights / accommodation.
  3. A Domestic Travel / Online Conference Application is not required to be completed when undertaking cross-campus travel or same day travel.  Where a staff member is undertaking either of these forms of business travel, staff should either register their business travel via the HR Employee Self-service System (ESS) or ensure their supervisor is aware of where staff are located.
  4. For international travel, quotes should be requested from the TMC to assist with completing the application’s budget.  For domestic travel, flight estimates should be sought via a web based portal (ie. Flight Centre, STA Travel, Webjet etc).
  5. Where air travel is being requested a Domestic/International Travel Application should be submitted as early as possible to secure the best possible fare.
  6. Where the University is funding a non-staff member’s travel, approval to book travel is required using either a Domestic/International Travel Application.

3. Determining the travel day type

  1. A Business Day is any day where university business is undertaken for a period exceeding four hours of the day, not including meal or rest breaks. This can include transit days when travelling to or from a business destination.  Anything less than this will be treated as a Private Day.
  2. A Travel Day to/from a destination where university business will/has been conducted is classified as a Business Day. Any Travel Day during a trip to/from an Annual Leave destination will be classified as a Private Day.
  3. A maximum of two (2) Travel Days are allowed for travel from or to Australia, travel days in excess of this are counted as a Private Day, unless it can be shown there were exceptional circumstances. Exceptional circumstances can include additional shuttle flights within a country, unforeseen strikes, stoppages or delays, pre-existing medical conditions substantiated by a medical certificate, etc.
  4. The University operates under a three-day rule for long-haul international travel, whereby the expectation is staff will commence their official university business directly after a maximum of two Travel Days and one Recovery Day.  The expectation is once official business has ended, departure flights should be scheduled within 24 hours from cessation of business.
  5. A Travel Recovery Day is permitted for physical recovery after a long-haul international flight, from and to Australia, and is treated as a Business Day.
  6. Weekend days will be excluded from the overall trip day count when official university business directly precedes and follows a weekend. In such circumstances staff should classify weekend days as Non-business Weekend Days.
  7. If a staff member opts to extend their trip for personal reasons, any weekend days included in the extension are classified as Private Days for FBT purposes and all on the ground expenses must be covered by the traveller.

4. Determining the type of Travel

  1. University sanctioned business travel which includes private travel in excess of the incidental private travel limit thresholds will be classified as Dual Purpose travel.
  2. The following limits are used to determine whether the private days within a trip will be treated incidental:
    • For a trip of 20 days or less, not including private weekend days, where the number of private travel days is less than 25% of the number of business travel days
    • For a trip equal to or greater than 21 days, not including private weekend days, where the number of private travel days is less than 30% of the number of business travel days.
  3. To determine the travel type and any possible Fringe Benefit Tax implications, staff are required to complete and attach the Travel Calculator & Diary when completing their Domestic/International Application.  
  4. Where deemed to be Dual Purpose, travel may only be approved where the staff pay half of the Australia return ticket airfare and all private costs relating to the private travel.  This will prevent a Fringe Benefits Tax liability for the University.
  5. Payment of a Dual Purpose travel airfare contribution by staff must be paid directly to the University’s TMC. The payment of this contribution is deemed to be personal and should not be managed via reimbursement to the University.

5. Security and Health Risk Assessment

  1. Staff requesting to travel internationally are required to declare, where requested in the International Travel Application, the current Department of Foreign Affairs Trade (DFAT) status for all countries being visited.
  2. DFAT uses 4 risk advice ratings:
    • Green      Exercise Normal Safety Precautions
    • Yellow     Exercise a High Degree of Caution
    • Orange    Reconsider your need to Travel
    • Red         Do Not Travel
  3. If applying to undertake business travel to, or through, a country containing any regions listed by DFAT at Code Red either at the time of applying to travel or pre-departure, applications to travel will not be approved or approval to travel will be rescinded.
  4. If applying to undertake business travel to, or through, a country containing any regions listed by DFAT at Code Orange either at the time of applying to travel or pre-departure, permission to travel will be referred the DVC(A) who will have overarching authority to approve or not approve travel based on the determined risk. The DVC(A) will work with both the Accountant - Taxation, Treasury & Insurance and Dean/Director to provide relevant advice.
  5. All travellers to be covered by the University’s Business Travel Insurance must declare if they have any pre-existing health condition.  This declaration should be made in the Travel Application – Risk Management section. Any traveller declaring they have a pre-existing medical condition must obtain travel clearance from their medical practitioner declaring they are fit to travel.

6. Airfare Class

  1. Economy class airfares must be quoted and selected when requesting to travel (unless where 6.2 or 6.3 applies) is applicable).
  2. Staff in the following categories maybe granted permission from their authorising Financial Delegate for payment of a premium economy or business class ticket when either of the following occurs and is documented with HR:
    • if it forms part of a contract of employment, or
    • is required for exceptional health reasons, which is supported by a medical certificate and authorised by the Vice Chancellor.
  3. Staff are eligible to book a matching class of travel if accompanying any of the following members of staff – Chancellor, members of the VCST or PVC on university business travel.

7. Cross-campus travel

  1. Staff undertaking business travel to another campus, which has student accommodation facilities are required to utilise these facilities in the first instance, unless any of the following occurs:
    • there are no vacancies
    • only shared accommodation options are available,
    • there is no single accommodation ensuite facilities available, or
    • authorisation from a VCST member has been given not to utilise student accommodation.

8. Approval to Travel

  1. A decision to authorise or approve travel must be based on:
    • whether the intended travel is integral to the requesting traveller’s work for the University
    • there being sufficient funds available from the nominated account listed in the Application
    • an understanding of any potential FBT implications for the University based on sighting a completed Travel Itinerary FBT Estimator, and where it is indicated the proposed travel will attract FBT, appropriate action taken to offset this liability
    • awareness of any intended travel to, or through, countries listed by DFAT at a code orange and red and sighting clearance to travel by the DVC(A).
    • where the travel is funded by a research grant, an understanding of any restrictions and limitations that may be imposed by the grant funding organisation.
  2. Approval for expenditure of University funds to travel must be given by the appropriate Financial Delegate (in addition to your supervisor if different), clearly stating the amount authorised for expenditure on the Domestic/International Travel Application pro forma.
  3. Travel is approved via a two-step approval process. 
    • Step 1.  An offline step where requesting staff complete the Domestic/International Travel Application.  Only when the Application has been given approval should staff proceed to Step 2.
    • Step 2.  Uses the TEMS to initiate bookings by creating a travel in Request.  For domestic travel, this will result in an auto-approve.  For international travel, the Request will automatically route to a Financial Delegate for approval within the TEMS.

9. Business Travel Insurance

  1. The University provides comprehensive travel insurance cover for all staff and students (including any accompanying spouse/partner and/or dependent children), as well as consultants undertaking University business travel. Contact should be made with Accountant-Taxation, Treasury & Insurance if any traveller is over the age of 75 years.
  2. Any additional traveller(s) accompanying the primary traveller on University business travel must be declared on the Domestic/International Travel Application and declare any pre-existing medical conditions.
  3. Travellers electing to include Private Days within business travel are eligible for University travel insurance for a period of up to 30 private/personal days. Additional insurance will need to be arranged by the traveller when Private Days exceeds 30 days.  Travellers should be aware that insurance coverage thresholds do not alter requirements to avoid any FBT liabilities.
  4. If additional travel insurance is required, coverage may be sourced via the University’s travel insurance provider’s online portal and purchased at own cost.
  5. Individual travel insurance should not be taken out and reimbursed to staff as this would attract Fringe Benefits Tax (FBT).
  6. Where a staff member or student is taking personal leave as part of their travel, the personal component of the trip must be within the thresholds stipulated in the Travel Calculator & Diary to ensure coverage under the University’s Business Travel Policy

10. Health and Vaccinations

  1. Some countries require proof of vaccination against specific diseases as a condition of entry. Staff are required to check the travel advice for their destination, or the embassy or consulate of the countries you intend to visit or transit. If you are not vaccinated, you may be refused entry or be required to have the vaccination at the border.
  2. It is the traveller’s responsibility to check what vaccinations are a condition of entry into a country, or what diseases are present where it would be prudent to immunise against. The Smartraveller website should be reviewed where overseas travel is being considered.
  3. Where it is a condition of entry to be immunised for a particular disease, as determined by a government agency (e.g. Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, Department of Health), by the World Health Organization, or by an organisation that is an essential service provider for the travel (e.g. an airline or travel insurance company), the University will cover the cost for the immunisation.  The University will not cover the costs of any immunisations/medications travellers elect to take for precautionary immunisation against other diseases.
  4. The cost of immunisation should be disclosed in the budget section of the International Travel Application and form part of the overall approved value authorised for expenditure.

11. Other transport

  1. Use of Employee's Privately Owned Vehicle
    • Staff undertaking university business are required to use a university fleet vehicle or Car Rental Company where a university fleet vehicle is unavailable. Circumstances may arise whereby the most effective and efficient means to conduct university business entails the use of a staff member’s personal vehicle (regardless of pool vehicle or hire car availability). For example, a staff member routinely travels between the Ballarat campuses and where approval/reimbursement is not requested for that vehicle use. Or the staff member resides more than 40kms from a university campus and their destination of travel is in another direction.
    • Where such circumstances arise the University will only endorse the use of a private vehicle where the owner declares and provides evidence of their comprehensive motor vehicle insurance policy, which must include coverage and endorsement for business usage.  
    • Any staff wanting to use their privately owned vehicle must complete the Private Vehicle Use Approval Request and have this approved before proceeding.
    • An approved Private Vehicle Use Approval Request must be attached to any Personal Car Mileage claim in the TEMS for any reimbursement to be processed.  Unless the staff member has a salary packaged vehicle or is a Council Member.
    • Students are not to be transported in staff private vehicles.
  2. Fleet vehicles
    • There is a pool of university fleet vehicles available at each campus. Accessing a fleet vehicle, via the fleet booking system, should be the first option when undertaking business road travel. An exception to this is when the journey is to the airports where the vehicle will be parked for longer than overnight. In this situation Car Rental Company or airport buses should be used where available.
    • Authorised staff and students holding a current licence are eligible to use the University's fleet vehicles.
    • Where more than one University Representative is travelling to the same destination every effort should be made to share a vehicle.
  3. Vehicle hire
    • All car hire should be managed via the TEMS using the University's preferred Car Rental Company.
    • All commercial vehicle hire (trucks, buses) should be managed by contacting the nearest Car Rental Company depot directly as these vehicle types are not loaded in the TEMS.
    • When hiring a vehicle staff should ensure it is always returned to the depot refueled to avoid the University being charged a fuel premium by the supplier.
    • FleetCard fuel cards are available to borrow when staff do not have a university purchase card.  These fuel cards can be used at any outlet.
    • Staff should refer to the Vehicle Hire Ref Guide for further guidance with vehicle hire and fuel card borrowing.
    • Where more than one University representative is travelling to the same destination every effort should be made to share a vehicle.
  4. Use of Employment Contract Vehicles
    • The Employment Contract Vehicle section of the Motor Vehicle Policy applies to the staff members who are allocated a motor vehicle as part of their contract of employment. Qualifying staff should make themselves familiar with this policy.
    • Drivers using vehicles that are assigned to their School or Section should make themselves aware of the conditions of the Motor Vehicle Policy.
  5. Taxis and Public Transport
    • An authorising Financial Delegate may give prior approval for the use of taxis to and from places of business in connection with approved university business.
    • The University endorses the use of riding-sharing companies as a means of transport for university business.
    • Staff are encouraged to use public transportation whenever feasible and access a university myki card from their School/Directorate where applicable.  Auto top-ups should be set on each myki card to ensure travellers have available funds to cover their trip.  Top-up setup can be processed via the myki Portal

Section 2. Booking Travel

12. Booking Travel via the TEMS

  1. All staff travelling on approved Business Leave and HDR students travelling using university funds are required to book air, accommodation and/or car hire via the TEMS and the University’s TMC as the booking agent, except where:
    • the airfare or travel expenses are being paid for directly by an external party (e.g. flight is paid directly to the travel agent/airline by an external organisation)
    • travel is being undertaken during Annual Leave and is fully self-funded
    • specific travel arrangements (ie. Conference packages) cannot be facilitated via the TEMS and TMC
    • students travelling under a Commonwealth Government Student Mobility Program can source a (cheaper) group booking
    • staff are travelling to another Federation University campus and being accommodated via FedUni Living.
  2. All current staff (regardless of employment type) and Higher Degrees by Research (HDR) students are profiled in the TEMS.  Travel bookings for HDR students need to be managed by a professional staff delegate, as HDR students do not have access to self-book or acquit expenses in the TEMS.
  3. The University is not obligated to provide a reimbursement where 12.1 has not been adhered to.
  4. Once signed approval has been given on the official Domestic/International Travel Application by a Financial Delegate, travellers should proceed immediately to the TEMS to initiate their travel booking. No booking requests should be created in the TEMS until travellers have a copy of their approved Travel Application to attach (except for domestic travel being conducted by the VCST).
  5. For domestic flight, accommodation and car bookings the Trip Search tool should be used in the TEMS.  This enables the traveller to make live bookings via the Global Distribution System (GDS), reduces agency wait times and also reduces the booking fee charged to the University.  Staff can refer to the Domestic Travel Booking – Quick Ref Guide for step-by-step instructions using the OBT in the TEMS.
  6. The University currently has domestic auto-approve setup in the TEMS so it is imperative for audit purposes there is an approved Domestic Travel / Online Conference Application attached to the booking Request.             
  7. For international flight and accommodation bookings, a Request needs to be created and submitted in the TEMS, providing the necessary details for the TMC to load data, which will then route to the traveller’s Financial Delegate for approval.  Staff can refer to the International Travel Booking – Quick Ref Guide for step-by-step instructions submitting a Request in the TEMS.
  8. Staff undertaking travel as part of an Outside Studies Program (OSP), and using funds paid direct via payroll for any flights or accommodation, are required to book their travel via the TEMS and advise the TMC to invoice direct to the traveller. Invoices should not be raised by the University to recoup costs.  

13. Best fare of the day

Where possible, you must accept the best fare of the day. The best fare of the day is the lowest fare offered by any airline at the time of booking, provided that the fare satisfies your business requirements (including but not limited to time of flight/s, class and connecting services).

14. Accommodation

  1. All accommodation should be booked via the TEMS to ensure charges are assigned to the University's virtual card. 
  2. When selecting accommodation, properties listed as Preferred Hotel/Chain for Federation University should be selected wherever available to ensure negotiated rates with the University are being secured. 
  3. The choice of accommodation while travelling should be based on safety and security while enabling optimal working conditions and should:
    • provide a safe and secure environment
    • be convenient to the place of work and
    • provide value for money appropriate to the country (i.e. in many countries, appropriate accommodation will be at the 3 to 4 star rating level).
  4. Staff undertaking business travel to another campus, which has student accommodation facilities are required to utilise these facilities in the first instance, unless any of the following occurs:
    • there are no vacancies
    • only shared accommodation options are available, or
    • where single room ensuite is not available.
  5. Vacation rental sites such as Airbnb, Flipkey, HomeAway etc cannot be used to book accommodation for university business.  The University will not incur any costs associated with the use of these sites. Staff will be invoiced for any charges made on purchase cards.
  6. Any accommodation or associated costs which are not business-related (e.g. mini-bar and newspapers) or are incurred as a direct result of the attendance of an accompanying person or family member are considered to be of a personal nature and must be paid separately to the business expenses of travel using a personal credit card or personal funds.
  7. Travellers can refer to the ATO Reasonable Travel & Meal Allowance amounts as a guide for budgeting purposes.  This Taxation Determination is a guide only.

15. Approving Bookings

  1. When a Financial Delegate receives a Travel Request for approval, they are required to check the loaded costs in the TEMS against the amounts approved in the attached International Travel Application and take necessary action if the costs for approval exceed amounts pre-approved.
  2. A Financial Delegate must only approve a Request if it falls within their delegation limit.  It the amount is above then they can complete initial checks but must then use the Approve and Forward function in the TEMS to route the Request to a Financial Delegate with the appropriate delegation limit.  


Section 3. Pre-Departure

16. Submitting leave request

  1. All private travel days taken in association with approved Business Leave, as declared in the Travel Calculator & Diary, must be taken as Annual Leave and lodged via the Employee Self-serve System (ESS) for approval prior to departure. Where a staff member wishes to take an alternative type of leave, the specific circumstance should be discussed with their line manager and advice sought from HR prior to arranging travel.

17. Travel Advice

  1. If approved for travel, travellers are required to register with the DFAT smartraveller to keep abreast of any alerts or updates relating to their country of destination.
  2. Checks will be conducted for all imminent international departures to verify the current DFAT travel advice levels.  A traveller booked to fly to a destination previously rated by DFAT (at the point of applying to travel) at Code Green and Yellow, which has escalated to a Code Orange or Red, will be contacted by the office of the DVC(A) to discuss travel plans and advised if they are still authorised to travel or required to cancel their trip.
  3. Where a traveller is required to cancel or change their travel plans due to undue risk, the University’s Business Travel Insurance would then likely cover the cancellation or additional expense for this change as it is deemed an unforeseen circumstance.

18. Visa/work permit and passport

  1. Staff/students travelling internationally must ensure their passport has six months validity from the date of re-entry into Australia.
  2. Staff/students should check Smartraveller to verify if there are any visa or permits required for entry or particular conduct being undertaken, ie active research.
  3. The TMC will advise if there are any entry visa requirements for countries being travelled to.  Where visa(s) are required the following should occur:
    • TMC will lodge an application via Visas Direct to process visa requests, this will also trigger a request for a courier
    • Traveller should arrange for their passport and all accompanying required documentation to be put into a sealed envelope, clearly marked Visas Direct and with traveller’s name and taken to their campus Mail Room
    • Toll Couriers will collect envelope from the Mail Room and will supply a satchel and Consignment Note for the consignment
    • Toll Couriers will return processed passport back to the Mail Room for collection by the traveller or nominated person.

19. Airline club membership and Frequent Flyers

  1. University funds can only be used to purchase airline club memberships for staff members where those staff have this written in their contract of employment.

20. Cash advances

  1. The University may pay reasonable amounts for incidental travel costs for a staff member as a Cash Advance.
  2. The amount issued in a Cash Advance must be reflected in the Travel Application budget section.
  3. A Cash Advance is requested through the TEMS. A Cash Advance will be made as direct deposits into the employees’ nominated payroll bank account.
  4. Payment of a Cash Advance for incidental travel costs will exclude a staff member from applying for a Travel Allowance.
  5. Staff will not be issued a Cash Advance if they have been issued a prior Cash Advance not yet acquitted.

21. Travel Allowances

  1. The University may issue a Travel Allowance when travelling to a country which operates largely under a ‘cash economy’ and where obtaining receipts for on-the-ground expenses are difficult to obtain.
  2. The amount of the Travel Allowance to be paid shall be at the discretion of the School/Directorate approving Financial Delegate.  The University is not obligated to issue a Travel Allowance based on the ATO Reasonable Daily Allowance schedule (it is a guide only).
  3. The payment of a Travel Allowance will only be paid prior to or at the time of travel, a Travel Allowance will not be paid after the completion of travel.
  4. The payment of a Travel Allowance will exclude a staff member from applying for a Cash Advance.
  5. An application for Travel Allowance should be made via the TEMS, selecting expense type Travel Allowance.
  6. Where a Travel Allowance is paid, the amount of the travel allowance, will be included on the staff member’s Income Statement as taxable income.
  7. It will be the responsibility of the staff member to retain any receipts for costs incurred for their personal taxation records.

22. Insurance

  1. Travellers should obtain a copy of the Business Travel Insurance Certificate of Currency in case it needs to be provided to Australian Consular officials or medical provider whilst travelling.
  2. Travellers should document the Emergency Assist contact number, available from the Travel Insurance webpage and if contacting Emergency Assist, state they are from Federation University Australia and provide the Policy Number on the Certificate of Currency.

23. Phone/data and accessing university systems remotely

  1. Staff intending to access university systems whilst travelling should ensure they do so via the University’s Virtual Private Network (VPN) and install this software before departure.  This will ensure online privacy and maintain data security. Staff should refer to the Knowledge Base Article (KPA) to Access the FedUni VPN.
  2. Staff travelling who do not hold a university provisioned mobile phone will need to ensure they have made their own arrangements for voice and data access, either through their local Telco provider or by purchasing a sim card at their destination point. ITS may be able to assist with advice on the most economic method of communication appropriate for the destination country.

Section 4. During Travel

24. Meals, Beverages and Incidentals

  1. Staff undertaking single day return travel (travel not requiring an overnight stay) may claim costs up to $30.00 for meals incurred whilst travelling, which must be substantiated with Tax Invoice(s).  Day Travel Meal costs will not be paid as a Travel Allowance.
  2. The University will not fund the purchase of alcoholic beverages whilst staff and/or students are undertaking university business travel, unless where the following exists:
    • the purchase of alcohol facilitates the development of business relationships, outcomes or where it is culturally appropriate to do so, and where such purchase is authorised by a member of the VCST. Where alcohol consumption is authorised for such situations, it should be restricted to a level that does not impair behaviour or bring the University’s reputation into disrepute.  
  3. The University will not fund expenses incurred from a hotel minibar.

25. Telephone/data usage and IT equipment

  1. Staff who hold a university provisioned mobile phone will be automatically set for global roaming once landing in another country.  A daily allowance of both voice and data will be available without having to register before departure.
  2. Staff travelling who do not hold a university provisioned mobile phone may be reimbursed for business phone calls, where:
    • the cost is reasonable and necessary for conducting business and where there is evidence of the cost incurred, and
    • an invoice with the calls itemised is attached to any travel reimbursement claim.
  3. Any staff travelling with university owned equipment must take appropriate precautions to ensure its security.  If, in the event a university owned device is stolen or lost, staff are required to report this to ITS via the ServiceDesk as soon as possible, which will enable the University to action necessary security measures.

26. Substantiating expenses

  1. Travellers must ensure they collect Tax Invoices (domestically) and receipts/invoices (internationally) to substantiate expenditure.  This documentation is required for reconciliation of purchase card expenses; claiming a Staff Reimbursement or acquitting a Cash Advance.
  2. It is the responsibility of the traveller to collect a copy of their hotel Tax Invoice/Invoice, itemising all expenses, when checking out.  The Service Voucher provided to domestic hotel states a Tax Invoice must be provided to the guest on check out.

27. Emergency Assistance

  1. If injured during travel and hospitalisation is required a copy of the Certificate of Currency should be provided to the hospital. If the injured party is unable to contact the Emergency Assist, the hospital should do so on behalf of the injured party state stating Federation University Australia and provide the Policy Number on the Certificate of Currency.

Section 5. Upon Return from Travel

28. Reconciliation of Expenses

  1. Staff are required to reconcile all associated expenses with completed business travel no later than 30 days from the date of re-entry into Australia or before the end of year university shutdown (whichever occurs first).
  2. Any travel and associated costs identified by the Manager, Financial Services as being a staff member’s private cost, which have been paid for by the University will be required to be paid back or will be deducted from the Staff Reimbursement claim or Cash Advance acquittal.
  3. University funds may not be used to pay for own-use medications, prescription medications, passports or luggage items.

29. Cash Advances

  1. Upon completion of travel, all receipts for work related expenses are to be reconciled against the Cash Advance transaction in the TEMS. Any further reimbursement can be requested within the existing Cash Advance, or where cash is to be repaid, this will be actioned through Finance Accounts Receivable, no later than 30 days after the completion of the travel.
  2. Approvers will be notified where a member has failed to submit their Cash Advance acquittal within 30 days of completion of travel.

30. Claiming a reimbursement

  1. Staff who have incurred out-of-pocket expenses and have not been issued a Cash Advance and can substantiate expenses with either a Tax Invoice (domestically) or receipt/invoice (internationally), can claim a reimbursement by lodging a Claim Report in the TEMS. Staff can refer to Process a Staff Reimbursement – Quick Ref Guide for guidance.
  2. HDR students who have incurred out-of-pocket expenses for university funded travel and can substantiate expenses with either a Tax Invoice (domestically) or receipt/invoice (internationally), can claim a reimbursement by contacting a research officer in their School to facilitate an EFT Request.
  3. It is the responsibility of the approving Financial Delegate to verify that expenses:
    • Directly relates to, and were required to undertake, approved university business travel
    • Form part of the total approved budget for the travel
    • Supporting documentation is an official Tax Invoice/receipt from the merchant
    • Are charged to the correct cost centre.
  4. Reimbursement may not be approved where:
    • Other approved purchase methods were reasonably available
    • Private/non business related expenditure e.g. entertainment, alcohol, personal items, clothing, being claimed
    • The amount being claimed or expense incurred is unreasonable
    • There has been a failure to comply with the University’s Purchasing and Travel Policies and Procedures.

31. Travel Diary

  1. A Travel Diary is required to be submitted when travel, either domestic or international, is for six nights or greater (commencing from the point of leaving home to start travel and concludes when arriving back to your home).
  2. It is the responsibility of the traveller to submit their Travel Calculator & Diary via the TEMS upon return from travel.  Before submitting, the Travel Calculator & Diary should be reviewed to ensure any changes are reflected from when it was submitted at the point of applying to travel.
  3. A Travel Diary should be submitted no later than 30 days after travel is completed. Travel Approvers will be notified where a traveller has failed to complete their Travel Diary within 30 days of completion of travel.
  4. Failure to provide a complete and signed Travel Diary for travel requiring a Travel Diary will mean the primary purpose of the travel is unsubstantiated and the travel will be deemed to be private purposes.


The COO/CFO (as the Approval Authority) is responsible for monitoring the implementation, outcomes and scheduled review of this procedure.

The Associate Director, Corporate Finance (as the Policy Sponsor) is responsible for maintaining the content of this procedure as delegated by the Approval Authority.

Additional responsibilities are as follows:

Position Areas of Responsibility
Vice Chancellor and President Travel approval for Deputy Vice Chancellors.
Deans / Directors / Deputy Vice Chancellors

Approval for domestic and international travel applications.

Adherence to all travel related policies and procedures.

Financial Delegates

Approval of travel related expenses as per Section 1.1 of the Delegation Band Value Limit Table.

Adherence to all travel related policies and procedures.


Arrange and conduct travel in accordance with all travel related policies and procedures.

Risk assessment undertaken as applicable.


The Travel Procedure will be communicated throughout the University community in the form of an Announcement Notice via FedNews website and on the ‘Recently Approved Documents’ page on the ‘Policies, Procedures and Forms @ the University’ website to alert the University-wide community of the approved Procedure.


The Travel Procedure will be communicated throughout the University community in the form of an Announcement Notice via FedNews website and on the ‘Recently Approved Documents’ page on the ‘Policies, Procedures and Forms @ the University’ website to alert the University-wide community of the approved Procedure.

Records Management

Title Location Responsible Officer Minimum Retention Period
Domestic Travel / Online Conference Application Travel & Expense Management System Manager, Financial Services Two years
International Travel Application Travel & Expense Management System Manager, Financial Services Two years
Travel Calculator & Diary Travel & Expense Management System Manager, Financial Services Seven years
Private Vehicle Use Approval Request Local School / Directorate Authorising Supervisor Seven years