Standard 7 - Overseas student transfers
- Transfer Between Registered Providers Procedure
- Transfer Between Teaching Locations Procedure
- Printable PDF Version
- Policy Base
- Legislative Context
- Associated Documents
- Records Management
To provide a Procedure for onshore international students and University and Partner Provider staff in relation to applications by students to transfer their full program enrolment between University's teaching locations.
Students applying to change registered CRICOS providers (to a non University partner provider) should refer to the Transfer between Registered Providers Procedure.
This Procedure relates to all onshore international students enrolled in a University program.
|Application for Transfer Between Teaching Locations:||An application by a Student for Transfer Between Teaching Locations.|
|Campus:||Teaching location owned and managed by the University.|
|Commencing student:||Student enrolled/enrolling in their first semester of study at the University.|
|Compassionate & Compelling:||Circumstances generally out of the control of the student which will have an impact upon the student's wellbeing or program progress.|
|Continuing student:||Student who has completed their first semester studies and enrolled/enrolling to continue their studies at the University.|
|CoE:||Confirmation of Enrolment|
|Immigration||Department of Home Affairs|
|IA:||International Student Admissions|
|Nominated Officer:||University staff member in the case of students enrolled at and attending a University campus; or in the case of students studying at Partner Provider sites the Nominated Officer is the Campus Manager / Director (or nominee).|
|PRISMS:||Provider Registration and International Student Management System.|
|Program:||A full-time registered program offered by the University and registered in accordance with the requirements of the ESOS Act.|
|Student:||International student enrolled in a University program at a University campus or at a Partner Provider.|
|Student Counsellor or Equivalent:||Includes a student counsellor/student support officer/advisor or welfare officer appointed by the University and working at the University or, in the case of Students studying at a Partner Provider, a student counsellor/student support officer or welfare officer appointed by and working at the Partner Provider.|
|Teaching Locations:||Where University programs are delivered.|
|Teaching Location, Current:||Teaching location where a student is currently studying their University program.|
|Teaching Location, New:||Teaching location where a student is applying to transfer, to continue their studies in a University program.|
|Partner Provider:||One or more other providers with whom the University has entered into an education arrangement to deliver a program.|
|Working Day:||Monday to Friday excluding public holidays.|
- The University is entitled to determine the circumstances in which it may allow a student to transfer between teaching locations. Where a student requests a transfer to another teaching location the University or its nominated officer will assess the request for transfer against this procedure.
- Students must co-operate with the University staff member or its nominated officers and attend any interviews or other appointments scheduled for them in respect to the application. If required, the meeting between the student and staff member is to be held within three days of student lodging the application so as to not delay the student's transfer if approved.
- Applying to Transfer Between Teaching Locations does not preclude students from the requirement to enrol on time. Non enrolment will not result in a Transfer Between Teaching Locations, it will result in the student being reported to Immigration via PRISMS for failing to enrol. Students applying to transfer to a new teaching location must complete the Application to Transfer Between Teaching Locations form. Do not complete the Application to Withdraw from All Studies form.
- There can be no outstanding fees remaining on the student’s account. All outstanding debts must be cleared from the student’s account prior to application to transfer is submitted.
- Students to successfully apply to transfer to another Teaching Location, must demonstrate compassionate or compelling circumstances justifying the transfer. Compassionate or compelling circumstances include, but are not limited to:
- Family reasons e.g. immediate family members who provide support live interstate.
- Compassionate or compelling circumstances may be demonstrated by providing sufficient specific detailed information with relevant supporting documentation to support the Application.
- The University will not approve of a transfer where:
- The student is a commencing student at a FedUni campus; or
- The student has applied to transfer to a teaching location within the same city in Australia; or
- If requested the student has not met with a staff member at the Current Teaching Location (academic or program co-ordinator, or student counsellor or equivalent) to discuss their application ; or
- The documents provided by the student do not, in the view of the University's or its nominated officer's view provide adequate grounds to justify the transfer.
- A student who is applying to transfer to a new teaching location due to a required course in his/her program not being offered at their current teaching location should apply for a cross institutional enrolment not a change of their teaching location.
- Student will contact the New Teaching Location where they wish to transfer to before lodging their transfer between teaching locations paperwork to check that the new teaching location will accept the student's application. This will ensure that the program and courses the student wishes to study are being offered at the new teaching location. Failure to do so may result in the student's enrolment being cancelled at their current teaching location before they are accepted at the new teaching location.
- Student will receive a conditional offer (subject to transfer approval) from the New Teaching Location. The tuition fee listed in the offer letter for students who commenced in 2017 or earlier, will be the published fee for the year the student commenced their program at their current location. For students who commenced in 2018 onwards, the tuition fee will be the published fee for the year the student is transferring to the new location.
- Subject to Item 1 & 2 above, Students wishing to transfer must complete, sign, date and lodge the Application to Transfer Between Teaching Locations form at the office of the Nominated Officer at their Current Teaching Location. Application must be lodged prior to 1st day of enrolment (Orientation week).
- Students must attach to the Application to Transfer Between Teaching Locations Form as part of the application:
- a letter detailing the reasons for the request to transfer to another Teaching Location and how the student will benefit from the transfer; and
- where applicable (refer: Criteria for Applications, Item 5) a copy of the documentary evidence referred to in the letter of application e.g. if for family reasons – evidence of the relationship. Failure to present evidence may adversely affect the outcome of the application; and
- written approval for the change from the scholarship body if a sponsor is paying the tuition fees.
- The application will be stamped by the current teaching location.
- If deemed appropriate, students will be asked to meet with a staff member at their current teaching location (academic or program coordinator; or student counsellor or equivalent) to discuss the application within 3 working days of lodgement of application.
- Students will be notified within 5 working days of lodgement of the outcome of the application.
- The nominated officer at the current teaching location will complete the Application to Transfer Between Teaching Locations form. If the application is approved the student will receive a copy of the signed form to take to the new teaching location. Students cannot be enrolled at the new teaching location if the signed form is not provided at the time of enrolment.
- Students whose application is not successful, will receive a copy of the application form signed by the nominated officer at their current teaching location advising why the application was not successful. Students have the the right to appeal the decision. (Refer Appeal Provisions).
- Students who have been notified by their school of unsatisfactory progress which may lead to being excluded or suspended from their program are still required to go through the academic appeal process (if lodged by the student) even if the student's transfer to the new teaching location is approved.
- Students who have received a warning or unsatisfactory progress letter not yet leading to exclusion or suspension in regard to their academic progress will have a Student Success Plan put in place by the new teaching location.
If a student does not agree with the decision as to whether or not to grant their transfer, or believes the decision was not made in accordance with this Procedure, the student has the right to appeal within five working days the decision to the Manager, International and Strategic Compliance, Centre for University Partnerships. In this event the student must maintain enrolment at their current teaching location until the appeals process is completed.
The student must complete the form, Application for Transfer Between Teaching Locations, Appeal (Section 1) and submit it to the Nominated Officer at their Current Teaching Location. The appeal application will be date stamped at the time of lodgement.
The nominated officer will complete Application for Transfer Between Teaching Locations, Appeal (Section 2) form and forward together with the student's Application for Transfer Between Teaching Locations, Appeal (Section 1) and a copy or original of the student's Application to Transfer Between Teaching Locations form and accompanying documents to the Manager, International and Strategic Compliance, Centre for University Partnerships within two working days of receipt of appeal application.
The Manager, International and Strategic Compliance, Centre for University Partnerships, will facilitate the appeal process and formally respond to the student and the nominated officer at the current teaching location, the result of the appeal within five working days of receipt of the application. If the application is successful the Manager, International and Strategic Compliance, Centre for University Partnerships, will forward the student's Application to Transfer Between Teaching Locations form to Student HQ, Mt Helen.
An appeal will not be approved if it results in the student enrolling outside the approved enrolment period.
If a student is not satisfied with the result of the appeal process, the student has the right to access the external appeals process at minimal or no cost through the Victorian Ombudsman.
- Refer steps 1 -11 Student: How to apply to transfer between teaching locations.
- The new teaching location cannot enrol the student without the student providing the Application for Transfer Between Teaching Locations form signed by the current teaching location's nominated officer or the appeal form approved by Manager, International and Strategic Compliance, Centre for University Partnerships.
- The student will sign the Offer Letter & Acceptance Agreement for the new teaching location.
- The new teaching location nominated officer will sign the Application to Transfer Between Teaching Locations form and forward it to Student HQ at Mt Helen (campus locations) or CUP Liaison Officer (partner teaching locations) for processing.
- On receipt of the Application to Transfer Between Teaching Locations form signed by the current teaching location, the new teaching location will update the location on the student's CoE in PRISMS.
- If the application is not successful the student will receive a copy of the Application to Transfer Between Teaching Locations form signed by the nominated officer at the current teaching location advising the reason why the application was not successful. The student has the right to appeal the decision. (Refer: Appeals Provision)
- The new teaching location will check if the student received a warning or unsatisfactory progress letter not yet leading to exclusion or suspension, and if received will put in place a Student Success Plan.
- Students who have been notified by their School, of unsatisfactory progress which may lead to being excluded or suspended from their program, are still required to go through the appeal process (if lodged by the student) even if the student's transfer to the new teaching location is approved.
- To assist with the administrative costs involved with an international student changing teaching locations a Transfer Location Fee will be paid by the new teaching location.
- The current teaching location will forward a list of students’ names and ID numbers and new teaching location to the Manager, International and Strategic Compliance, Centre for University Partnerships by the last day a student can withdraw without financial penalty. Lists received after that date for the current semester will not be processed.
- The Manager, International and Strategic Compliance, Centre for University Partnerships will forward the list to the Student Finance Department who will raise an invoice against the new teaching location for the total transfer location fee to be paid by the new teaching location.
- On payment of the transfer location fee to the University by the new teaching location the Student Finance Department will distribute the fee payment to the current teaching location.
- The Transfer Location Fee will be calculated as follows:
- Commencing student: 25% of tuition fee for 8 courses
- Continuing student who has completed one semester at Current Teaching Location: 25% of tuition fee for four course
- Continuing student who has completed two or more semesters: Flat fee of $2000*
*Transfer fee is waived in the following circumstances:
Courses student is enrolling in for completion of his/her program are not offered at their current location in current semester (school to confirm). Cross institutional enrolment may be appropriate.
Education Services for Overseas Students Act 2000
National Code of Practice for Registration Authority and Providers of Education and Training for Overseas Students 2018
|Title||Location||Responsible Officer||Minimum Retention Period|
|Application for Transfer Between Teaching Locations||Student File||Nominated Officer||7 years after date of completion or withdrawal|
|Copy of Approved or Not Approved letter||Student File||Nominated Officer||7 years after date of completion or withdrawal|
|Copy of Appeal letters||Student File||Nominated Officer||
7 years if upheld
15 years if dismissed
The Transfer Between Teaching Locations Procedure will be implemented throughout the University via:
- An Announcement Notice under ‘FedNews’ on the ‘FedUni’ website and through the University Policy - ‘Recently Approved Documents’ webpage to alert the University-wide community of the approved Procedure.
- Inclusion on the University's online Policy Library.