Student surveys provide the University with important feedback to assist in the planning, delivery and improvement of services available across the University.
The objectives of this policy are to ensure that student surveys distributed using Federation University branding and/or sent from Federation University email addresses or profiles have a clearly defined purpose, are appropriately planned, designed and implemented and the acquired data achieves that purpose, thereby enabling:
- coordination of the timing and quantity of student surveys based on the target respondents, thus managing the student survey load of particular groups and avoiding survey fatigue;
- avoidance of excessive student surveying through the provision of shared data and survey analysis;
- quality assurance on the questioning, sampling, delivery, data collection, privacy and storage of surveys;
- identification of surveys where Human Research Ethics approval is required.
This policy applies to all Federation University Australia staff distributing a new or existing student survey using Federation University Australia branding, or sent from a Federation University email address or profile, to: past, current, potential students, graduates and alumni.
This includes student surveys conducted by third parties, including benchmarking surveys, on behalf of Federation University Australia. It is applicable to all surveys, including where the survey is distributed by post, email, social media, learning management system, face-to-face or distributed by hand-out.
Student surveys which are primarily governed by other University policies and/or procedures include:
- surveys where the purpose is to evaluate teaching and learning practices, which is primarily governed by the Student Evaluation of Learning and Teaching Policy and Student Evaluation of Learning and Teaching Procedure;
- Research Surveys requiring Human Research Ethics approval, which is primarily governed by the Applying for Human Research Ethics Procedure.
This policy does not apply to surveys:
- that are not actively distributed, such as optional feedback forms provided in a static location, e.g. on a service counter;
- that are conducted as part of the Australian Government QILT survey suite;
- that are conducted as part of the Nation-wide Postgraduate Research Experience Questionnaire (PREQ);
- that are part of the Annual Progress Reports and SEPP (please refer to the HDR Candidature Management Policy).
|Survey Developer||The Federation University Australia staff member responsible for the delivery of the student survey.|
|Student Survey Coordinator||The Federation University Australia staff member responsible for approving the delivery of the student survey.|
|Research Survey||A student survey that is deemed to require ethical approval from the Human Research Ethics Committee|
|General Student Survey||A student survey with the purpose of either evaluating the performance of student related services or for planning the future delivery of student related services.|
|HREC||Human Research Ethics Committee|
|QILT||Department of Education and Training Funded Quality Indicators of Learning and Teaching|
|PREQ||Postgraduate Research Experience Questionnaire|
|Marketing Survey||These include surveys targeted at graduates and alumni as well as prospective students, i.e. students that are not actively studying nor have accepted an offer to study at a Federation University campus.|
Federation University Australia is committed to obtaining feedback from students to continually improve the provision of its services.
This policy provides a set of principles to ensure student surveys are conducted in an ethical manner, run to a coordinated schedule and follow best practices in their design and delivery.
|The purpose and outcomes of a student survey are clearly defined||
|Student surveys are conducted in an ethical manner||
|The quantity and scheduling of student surveys is coordinated to prevent student survey fatigue and reduce the impact on response rates of core university surveys.||
|Student surveys request data that is otherwise unavailable from previous survey analysis or data sources||
|Survey questions align with the purpose and outcomes of the survey||
|The survey preface is consistent across all general student surveys and maintains a standard set of introductory information||
|The survey and question design are consistent with best practices||
|Survey data is collected, managed and stored according to data classification, management and privacy principles||
|Survey analysis is distributed to all identified stakeholders||
- Student Survey Procedure
- Mandatory Elements of a Federation University Australia Survey
- Federation University Australia Survey Quality Guidelines
- Student Evaluation of Learning and Teaching Policy
- Ethical Conduct of Research Policy
- Applying for Human Research Ethics Procedure
- Master Data Management Policy
- Data Classification and Usage Procedure
- Data Storage Procedure
- Information Privacy Procedure
- Survey Proposal Form (PDF 173.5kb)
- Deputy Vice Chancellor (Academic) (as the Approval Authority) responsible for monitoring the implementation, outcomes and scheduled review of this procedure
- Dean of Students and Registrar (as the Policy Sponsor) responsible for maintaining the content of this procedure as delegated by the Deputy Vice Chancellor (Academic)
- Student Survey Coordinator is the person responsible for the administration support for the maintenance of this procedure as directed by the Director of Strategic Planning
The Student Survey Policy will be communicated throughout the University via:
- Announcement Notice via FedNews website and on the ‘Recently Approved Documents’ page on the ‘Policies, Procedures and Forms @ the University’ website to alert the University-wide community of the approved Procedure;
- Distribution of e-mails to University staff;
- Notification to Schools.
The Student Survey Policy will be implemented throughout the University via:
- An Announcement Notice via FedNews website and on the ‘Recently Approved Documents’ page on the ‘Policies, Procedures and Forms @ the University’ website to alert the University-wide community of the approved Procedure;
- Training sessions for existing survey owners;
- Training resources for all Federation University staff;
- Instructional video.